These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

A tribute to my mom on the occasion of her birthday!

Happy Birthday, Mom!!

Today is my mom's birthday. She would probably cringe if she knew I were mentioning it on my blog... that's why I'm not asking her permission! I just wanted to take a minute and tell you about my mom. She is my very best friend in all the world aside from dear Mr. Potato Head. I tell her all my thoughts, desires, dreams, concerns and all the mundane details of everyday life. She wants to hear it all and is interested in it all. I never go a day without talking to her... even when we lived 800 miles away and it was a bit pricey to talk.

She has always had my best interest at heart. She would sacrifice anything she has - her 'things', her time, her preferences, her comforts - for my benefit or the benefit of my husband and my children. Her identity is defined as mother and Nana and she wouldn't have it any other way!

She is exactly what the Bible describes as the Proverbs 31 woman. Never does she seek after her own glory. Never does she want to be first. Never does she insist on being acknowledged... in fact, she'd prefer not to be acknowledged at all. We don't let that happen, though!

My children rise up and call her blessed. My husband rises up and calls her blessed. I rise up and call her blessed. I am who I am largely because of her unconditional love and guidance. She supports us in everything we do. She would never think for a moment of criticizing us in our parenting, our housekeeping, or our choices which can be rather unconventional at times. I'm sure at times she's disagreed with us... but, I have no idea because, if she has, she has never let that be known.

There is no better time in my children's lives than when they are with Nana. She treats them all to a weekend on a rotating basis. To deny my children that would be more of a punishment to her than a punishment to them! She cooks a huge lunch feast for her family every Sunday. It is one of the highlights of our week. She learned to smock and now smocks matching dresses for my girls. It is a rare Sunday when my girls aren't in church with matching dresses that their sweet Nana has painstakingly sewn. And, don't think she has lots of time for these pursuits! She still works full time, even some overtime occasionally, and cares for her elderly mother - my grandmother - full time. But that doesn't stop her from sewing and cooking for us on a regular basis. It is her joy and her delight. When I was plagued with morning sickness recently, she cooked for us, cleaned our house, did our laundry, missed work to drive my children to and from piano lessons, and made sure we had everything we needed. We will never go without as long as Mom is nearby.

She never misses one of the children's games, she never misses a piano recital, she never misses a birthday or Valentine's Day... she's even been known to surprise us with goodies on the 4th of July! She's just that kind of mom and grandmother.

We love our Nana and I love my mom! I hope and pray I will cultivate the same devotion to my children and my grandchildren yet to be born as my mother has for us. I pray I will be half as giving and self-sacrificing as my Mom. It's a tall order, I know!

Happy Birthday, Mom!
Happy Birthday, Nana!

We'll see you tonight for the party... now you didn't think we would let the occasion of your birthday go by without a party, did you?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Nana! We love you!
The A's

8:24 AM  
Blogger LinesFromTheVine said...

You are right, your mom is wonderful and it is obvious to everyone who meets her!!!

Tell her Happy Birthday from the Lambert's too!

Tracy

11:31 AM  
Blogger Stonewall said...

Happy Birthday Nana! Your a wonderful BLESSING to our family also. You guys better spoil her rotten today..May God bless you on your special day Nana.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Southern Belle said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom/Nana, even though she's not supposed to know that we know, lol! Make it special!

Beth

1:49 PM  
Blogger Southern Belle said...

OOOO! I just realized I recognize where she is in that picture! She is on the people mover, at Disney in Tomorrowland! Fond memories!

Southern Belle

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com