These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Friday, March 23, 2007

Frugal Friday!

I have two quick tips today for Frugal Friday. First, I use reusable items instead of disposable items whenever I can. For example, I always store leftover food in glass containers with lids (I try not to use plastic though it's impossible to avoid completely). I try not to use ziploc bags and if I do, I wash and reuse them. I try to use kitchen towels and cloth napkins instead of paper towels and paper napkins. This little effort saves our family quite a bit of our grocery budget! It is also a more healthy option since paper products, unless organic which is very expensive, contain chemicals that you do not want! It's not an 'all or nothing' effort. There are times when I use paper towels, plastic tupperware and ziploc bags. But, as a general rule, I avoid them saving money and adding health benefits!

My second quick tip is one my husband uses all the time. He builds sets for churches and television stations as a little side business and so spends a great deal of time painting. As a frugal champion, he often finds things he can reuse, reinvent or make work for a project which saves his ultimate profit for the family. One thing he does regularly is to use torn or worn out vinyl tablecloths and/or torn or worn out shower curtains as his drop cloths. He can make these last as drop cloths for years!! Anytime we replace something plastic or vinyl, we put it in "Daddy's Stash". He can make something out of anything!! It's like our own material 'compost pile'... if you leave it in the stash long enough, something very useful and usable will eventually emerge!! He's a genius at saving money and thinking outside the box!!

For more great Frugal Friday tips, be sure to visit Crystal at Biblical Womanhood!

4 Comments:

Blogger Southern Belle said...

Every time I see your Frugal Friday's I can't help but see Amy D. (Frugal Gazette) in your posts. I can tell you have really adapted her changes.

On the glass containers...where do you get square ones? Do you reuse spagetti jars? I know I now have a (from Christmas but late) new yogurt maker and tortilla maker and I have saved plastic large containers from my previous yogurts (a couple) and washed them. That is what I use for my new batches of yogurt, although they are made in glass jars about the same size as a baby food jar.

TTYL
Southern Belle

7:22 AM  
Blogger Lady Why said...

Oh, yes!!! Amy Dacyczyn of The Tightwad Gazette!!! My frugal hero!! I have read her books for years... in fact, I used to buy her books as she released them. That's how long I've read her brillant work! Even more amazing, I used to get her newsletter every month and I have each and every copy of each and every newsletter in a binder and organized by theme. I know, I know... over the top!

You'll probably recognize her in a lot of my tips because she is my inspiration in all things frugal!

11:21 AM  
Blogger L said...

I am another Amy D fan and have every one of her newsletters plus the softcover and hardcover copies of the Complete Tightwad Gazette. I can relate! :) There will never be a better frugal book ever.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa Knight said...

I also save my vinyl table cloths & shower curtains to reuse! So I was intrigued when I read a tip recently about sewing rain ponchos with them... I am an avid sewer & I had not had that one occur to me, duh... I did use one once to sew new high chair cushions, so I should have seen it.

There are so many uses for them, and even though I try to clean them & save them for the next year the kids poke holes in them & they don't look very nice, so drop cloth is perfect!

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com