These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Friday, April 06, 2007

Frugal Friday!!

I have one word for this week's Frugal Friday tip... well, actually two words: RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES!! If you don't use rechargeable batteries, you don't know what you're missing!! We have been using them for several years now and we have yet to have to replace them. We use them in our computer mouse, my husband's beard trimmer, our portable phones, our remote controls, cameras, a hand held math game, and Karate Kid's remote control vehicles and laser tag guns. We have a battery charger on our kitchen counter which is our 'charging station'. This area of the counter also holds the chargers for our cell phones and Mr. P's walkie talkies. The battery charger is always full and when a battery runs down, you take your used battery, grab a few new ones and replace the new with the old. It's as easy as that!! I can't tell you how much time and money we've saved over the years by not buying batteries! Plus, when batteries run down, we don't have to wait for the next trip to the store to replace old batteries.

For more great Frugal Friday tips, be sure to visit Crystal at Biblical Womanhood!

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie J said...

We got ours at Sams Club. We got one that charges AA and AAA with the batteries for about $20 and have been using it for almost 3 years now. Great Tip.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I like the rechargables too but have a problem. My granddaughter has descovered them. She replaces them in her ipod, games and anything else she can think of but she doesn't live with me. I go for a battery and that's when I find she has been at it again and there are no batteries to replace. I should be wise to her by now but she is much to quick and slick. I even got her one for christmas. She still uses mine.

I have one hid in the bedroom that she hasn't descovered yet but it is only a matter of time.

Take care.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Maisy said...

I grew up in a household that alway charged batteries ... my dad was interested in weird things and charged alkaline batteries in some charger he got at Radio Shack, or something similar, we are talking the early-to-mid 70's here at the latest.

That was the "unsafe" way to do it, the batteries leaked and amazingly though, no real "exploding batteries" come to mind from my memory.

In 1995/96 my husband and I were expecting our first baby, and I saw that Ray-o-Vac had "rechargeable alkaline batteries" available, and so we jumped on the chance to get a charger and a bunch of those batteries. We knew we'd want rechargeables with children in the house, for sure. What a great thing it's been all these years.

We did get a new charger and have newer batteries NiMh ones (like the picture you posted, as well as purple colored ones we get from Fry's) in the past few years, but those old alkaline Ray-O-Vacs are still around, I don't charge them anymore, but they still would work if I did.

We have three children that have so many battery-needing-items, we do buy new batteries every so often, but it's in order to keep enough around to add to the "new stuff" that inevitably shows up on birthdays, etc.

I just went through a battery changing affair with one of my 8 yr. old girls toys, a robot cat that has a remote and has annoying loud functions, but she loves it. I opened it up and found it had 6 AA's in it and about flipped, they'd been in there for nearly a year and a half and finally were nearly dead, and looks shiny spanking new. The remote took 3 AA's. Ah, that's why it seems I had been thinking we had bought a whole bunch over a year ago, but where are they? :)

We use AA, AAA, C, and D batteries, but mostly the first two types. Our charger could also do 9-volts, but we've never looked for that sort to purchase, but wonder if it would be useful (since some things need that kind of battery, not many, but they are annoyingly unreliable batteries I find, the conventional sort.) FWIW

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anna S said...

We use rechargeable batteries and I'm almost scared to think of the amount of money we'd have to spend if we didn't!!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com