These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Friday, April 20, 2007

Frugal Friday!

Recently I was having a conversation with someone in the store about buying organic produce. The conversation turned to budgets and the lady in the store told me that she would love to eat healthier but she just couldn't afford the high price of organic products. I have thought about this recently and pondered my grocery budget. The biggest money saver on my grocery budget has been our lack of meat purchases! Go vegetarian! It will save you a bundle... in groceries and in medical bills!

Once we eliminated meat from our menu, our grocery bill dropped tremendously and even though we added organic products to our shopping list which do carry a higher price tag, we still save more money on groceries now than when we had meat at every dinner and bought cheaper processed foods.

We didn't eliminate meat to save money but that is a wonderful side benefit. We did it because my husband's cholesterol level was higher than I wanted and I started researching natural ways to bring it down. It didn't take me long to realize that animal products are the culprit to high cholesterol and processed sodium laden foods are largely behind high blood pressure. Since eliminating meat from our diets, my husband's cholesterol has dropped 24 points! And, his blood pressure is nice and low! No health damaging medications for him to lower these things artificially!!

Meat is very expensive... especially if you shop for antibiotic and hormone free meats! Eliminate or greatly reduce your meat consumption and you'll see a huge improvement on your grocery bill... but more importantly, your health!

For more Frugal Friday tips, be sure to visit Crystal at Biblical Womanhood!

7 Comments:

Blogger Mommy said...

Meat is expensive, but I also found that one doesn't need to eat much of it at a meal, so I use less than the recipe calls for. Or I buy a cheaper cut of it.
I tried the Hallaluiajh (sp?) Diet, and I found that it was just as much or more than regular eating because you eat so much veggies. Maybe it is the way you eat is different than eating totally Vegan?
I am always looking for ways to cut my grocery bill. Would you be willing to share some frugal meatless recipies with us?

2:15 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

We're not vegetarian, but 1/3-1/2 of our meals are - for both health and money reasons. Plus, there's so much vegetarian food that just tastes so good!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

4:56 PM  
Blogger Lady Why said...

Hi Mommy,

We do try and eat totally vegan. We're not militant about it and we do have meat, eggs and dairy occasionally when we are at a friend's house and on Sundays when my mother cooks for us. But, by and large, we are vegan at home. It is the Hallelujah Diet that is the model for our family diet. We juice and try to eat as much raw as possible. Again, we're not militant about it but the benefit to our health and how much better we feel makes it an easy thing to keep up!

I have not found the Hallelujah Diet to cost more... in fact, it is less than when I was a meat and convenience food buyer. But, it can seem that way when you are comparing organic to non-organic purchases. Also, processed organic foods are VERY expensive!! So, we avoid pre-prepared foods and go for foods in their natural condition which saves quite a bit of money.

I'll be happy to share some frugal meatless dishes!! Watch the blog and I'll make that into a separate post!

Thank you for your comment!!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Sherlock said...

I'm always very hesitant to sound contradictory in the least about any matter not regarding absolute truth; however, there is a third alternative not very well known. Pastured meats don't pose any cholesterol problems because they're structured differently than anything in the supermarket. Pastured eggs actually reduce cholesterol due to their high omega-3 and omega-6 levels. Of course, most Americans eat way too much meat anyway- once, or maybe twice, a week is enough for most people. But don't listen to me, because as a future grass farmer, I'm very biased.:)

By the way, in his Autobiography, Benjamin Franklin details how a vegetarian diet saved him money. Meat does cost more.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Lady Why said...

Sherlock,

Very interesting observation! I didn't know pastured meats don't impact choloesterol! Is there a study out about that I could read? Of course, when we do eat meat we always go for pastured meat first (which is VERY hard to find, I might sadly point out!) and hormone and antibiotic free organic meats second which are 'through the roof' expensive... but worth it if you're going to eat meat.

You know, Sherlock, when you get your farm up and running, we will definitely be faithful customers!! We especially want those eggs!!! We love farm fresh eggs! What a difference there is!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Sherlock said...

There are some studies regarding pastured meats and cholesterol, as well as fat and omega-3 fatty acid content. [By the way, the "high levels of omega-6" in my first comment was an error, just read omega-3.] Here are some and a description of them.

http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/articles/confused_about_fat_choose_grassfed.shtml

-This site details general pastured meat health benefits. The folowing site has three excerpts from a book by the same author as above.

http://www.peacefulpastures.com/resources.html

This site has a chart of pastured egg nutrition:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs-results.aspx

This study shows that lean beef lowers bad cholesterol. Cattle raised on pasture are leaner than anything in the supermarket, because grain-feeding (common practice) produces more fat in the meat.

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/159/12/1331

I'm researching this myself anyway, so if I come across anything else I'll add it.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Lady Why said...

Thank you, Sherlock!!

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com