These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Friday, April 27, 2007

Frugal Friday!

For today's Frugal Friday tip, I thought I'd share a great recipe that my family loves and that is a wonderful meal to take to a church potluck meal or when you need to take a meal to minister to a family. It's easy to make and very inexpensive! Here is the recipe in its original form. My modifications are in parentheses...

Baked Potato Soup

1/2 lb bacon (I use about a cup of Bac'Uns which are organic vegetarian "bacon" bits)
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
5 lb bag potato's, peeled and diced (for our big family and for 'take-to-church' meals, we use 8 to 10 lbs.)
8 c. water
6 bouillon cubes (I use two tablespoons of liquid smoke)
4 ounces (half block) cheddar cheese, shredded (I do use real cheese here. Substitutes are just not the same)

Directions:
Sauté onion, garlic, and celery until tender, not browned. Add water, potatoes, and liquid smoke and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cover, simmering until potatoes are tender. Stir in cheese until melted into soup. Stir in Bac'Uns, and serve. This recipe serves about 10 to 14, considering most families eat more than a normal 1 cup serving.

It's healthy, inexpensive, and so easy!

For more great frugal tips, visit Crystal at Biblical Womanhood!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jan B said...

How much liquid smoke?

7:39 AM  
Blogger Jan B said...

Nevermind, I saw it in there. I might make this for the weekend. We always go through potato recipes like mad on the weekends.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous homeschoolinmommaof4 said...

This sounds good I'll have to give it a try.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Redbud said...

This does sound like a good dish for a potluck. Thanks. Sherry

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Cammie said...

I have a bit different recipe, but this is my hubbys fav. However, he would never put up with vegetarian bacon bits! I want some right now!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com