These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Missing the boat...

I ran across this article on Crystal's blog which intrigued me... and caused me dismay all at the same time. The article is mainly about women waiting longer and longer to have children and what this means in terms of carrying on a 'lineage'. That really isn't much food for thought because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the fewer progeny you have, the fewer ancestors you'll have in 100 years. With a minimum of third grade math skills you can reach the correct conclusion there. As is stated in the article, most women couldn't care less about carrying on a lineage. It's all about me, don't you know? But, this quote here really caused me to pause...

"Low, who gave birth to her first and only child when she was in her mid-30s, emphasizes that lineage success may not be an important goal for many modern women. 'If you want to see your line persist, then it's probably optimum to start reproducing in your early to mid-20s,' she says. 'But if you want to have a wonderful lifestyle, you're probably better off either not having children or having them as late as possible.'"

What??? Are children a burden? Do they keep you from a "wonderful lifestyle"? If you decide to torture yourself with the burden of children, should you limit that to just one so your life won't be completely ruined? Oh my goodness! I don't think I've ever heard this sentiment so bluntly articulated before. What a sad existence Ms. Low has. She has money, "power", a "fascinating career" and all the things she thinks are important ... but all things the Lord says will be burned away as wood, hay and stubble. She has sold her inheritance for a mess of pottage! She has missed the boat!

Children are an inheritance of the Lord... good gifts from His own hand! They are blessings to be sought and welcomed! "Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them"! So many people think that you can have 'too many' children! As I heard Mrs. Duggar say in an interview some time ago... saying there are too many children is like saying there are too many flowers! Will these career women be lying on their deathbeds wanting to meet the Lord so they can tell Him of all their professional accomplishments and how much money is in their 401K plan? I certainly hope not! These are not the things the Lord esteems. I want to meet the Lord one day and know that I spent my life in service to Him by rearing many children for His kingdom and His glory, through serving a wise and godly man as his helpmeet all the days of my life, and through pouring myself into the edification of my children, grandchildren and, if the Lord should grant me long life, great grandchildren! What a gift it will be to sit with my great grandchildren at my feet and share what it means to be a godly Proverbs 31 woman... and I want to share it from experience! Years and years of fleshed out living out of the gospel of Christ! Not from what I read in a book, not from what I saw other wise and godly women do, not from what I heard women are to be and do. No, I want to pour myself into my multitudes of progeny from my own personal experiences from years of walking with the Lord and sharing what He has done for me and what He will do for them. I want to teach them all the things a wise and godly woman should know. I cannot use my time in anything that is of more eternal value than to pour my life into my children and my children's children! And, when I meet the Lord face to face I long to hear Him say, "Well done thy good and faithful servant."

That... and that alone... is a wonderful lifestyle! But, the Lord's ways are always best, aren't they?

1 Comments:

Blogger Southern Belle said...

Although I do not agree with them being a part of ATIA, AT ALL, I do like to watch them and their family and how things are run in their home. It hasn't been that long when I heard they were expecting #17.......

One of my favorite quotes recently is this:
"God sees credit cards as a curse and children as a blessing, but when the world sees credit cards as a blessing and children a curse, there is something wrong with this picture..."
Doug Phillips

Hey do you know of anyone going to Jamestown with VF in June?

TTYL
Beth

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com