These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Old-Time Family

I so appreciate Amy and her wisdom-beyond-her-years insight! I have enjoyed reading her blog for quite a while now and today's post is no exception. For those of you that don't follow her Humble Musings closely, Amy is pregnant with their sixth child and has had a very brutal bought of morning sickness this time. In the midst of coming out of the 'fog' of morning sickness she posted this poem:

The Old-Time Family
By Edgar Guest

It makes me smile to hear ‘em tell each other nowadays
The burdens they are bearing, with a child or two to raise.
Of course the cost of living has gone soaring to the sky
And our kids are wearing garments that my parents couldn’t buy.
Now my father wasn’t wealthy, but I never heard him squeal
Because eight of us were sitting at the table every meal.

People fancy they are martyrs if their children number three,
And four or five they reckon makes a large-sized family.
A dozen hungry youngsters at a table I have seen
And their daddy didn’t grumble when they licked the platter clean.
Oh, I wonder how these mothers and these fathers up-to-date
Would like the job of buying little shoes for seven or eight.

We were eight around the table in those happy days back then,
Eight that cleaned our plates of pot-pie and then passed them up again;
Eight that needed shoes and stockings, eight to wash and put to bed,
And with mighty little money in the purse, as I have said,
But with all the care we brought them, and through all the days of stress,
I never heard my father or my mother wish for less.

With that Amy shares this...

"One of the reasons I lean toward the old paths is because the people were less distracted than we are. Their lives were simpler; they knew what was important and what wasn’t."

Amen, Amy!!! Isn't it sweet to read of families that 'get it'? I find it very refreshing! It's a delight and a blessing to see young families following the 'old paths' and submitting their wills and their families to the Lord. It's regrettably not very often you see such jewels... not very often at all. But, oh what a blessing it is when you do!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Brigham said...

What a lovely & truthful poem!

Thank you for stopping by & commenting on my blog this past Friday. :o) I hope you have a lovely week!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Myfriendconnie said...

I was going to post this poem myself when I saw it at Amy's. I still may. I love it.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com