These are the ramblings of an eclectic and whimsical homeschooling family of eight... a little peek, if you will, inside the daily dawdlings and habits of my active and delightful family seeking to please the Lord in all we do! Hopefully our thoughts, observations, and activities will challenge you, inspire you, tickle you, cheer you, and let you know you are not the only one!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Why gauge is important

As you can see, I didn't check my gauge before beginning knitting booties for Noah! Big mistake! For all you knitters out there, gauge is important! I used the recommended size needles and the recommended yarn so I thought I could skip this step... bad idea! I had to go down a needle size and cut the pattern by 1/3rd to get the desired size.

When you don't check your gauge, you can get a bootie big enough for a five year old!
Gauge is important!


Updated to add...


Here is Cindy Lou, who will turn six in a few short weeks, modeling the rather huge baby bootie! This will give you an idea as to the scale of this mammoth thing! That's quite a bootie, don't you think?

3 Comments:

Anonymous LinesFromTheVine said...

I've not really given much attention to guage either...would you re-adjust your needle size, your pattern or both to get the finished size?

Thanks!
Tracy

6:07 AM  
Blogger Lady Why said...

Actually, I had to do both to get a bootie small enough. When I made it according to the pattern, the giant bootie is what I got. When I scaled down one needle size, the bootie turned out to be what I would call a toddler size. I cut down the pattern to get it as small as a newborn sock which I was using as my guide. I like my final finished bootie... but I also learned my lesson about gauge! Ha! Ha!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Southern Belle said...

Lady why,
You are doing a good job there. Love the pict of your little one doing summer school. We started our summer schedule today. First of all, what is she writing in? Is that A Reason for Writing? Secondly, pop on over to see what I have made my husband's cousin, for a baby gift. She just had her first baby. It was a girl, coming in at 9 lbs. 5 oz!! Also are you going to CHEF?
Hope to see you soon,
Southern Belle (Beth)

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email us at: whiskersonkittensblog@yahoo.com



Glarity Online Christian Media Store
baby
AO/HEO Bloggers
Join ~ List ~ Previous ~ Next ~ Random ~ Previous 5 ~ Next 5 ~ Skip Previous ~ Skip Next
Beautiful Womanhood The Beautiful Womanhood SiteRing

This site owned by
Lady Why
Previous Site List Sites Random Site Join Ring Next Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com